2/04/2004



The mad search for REDBIRD IN THE AIR, a poster by John Blackford

There's a beautiful poster on the NYC subways of a young boy fantasizing that he and his teddybear are being led through the sky by a speeding #6 Redbird subway train. I saw it six months ago, loved it, websearched it, found nothing, but then I found it on the MTA site and bought one. Soon after that, the MTA put a note on their site saying they were sold out. Apparently other people noticed it and loved it, too. It's so whimsical, the perfect rendition of childhood dreams. Now there is apparently a two-month wait for the poster! Meanwhile, one out of every seven websearches that links people to my blog comes because they are looking for info on that very poster and artist and there's still very little on the web.

I got this e-mail from someone today! Only in New Yawk...

>>"Hello: Need any golf balls? Actually I've been googling my brains out trying to find the MTA poster of the Redbird (that you... harumphh... purchased and received from the MTA in the mail) I have been to all the outlets and I am on a waiting list ( 2 months now) on their website for one. I can't find one anywhere. I can't find the artist, I can't find diddly. I want to buy a copy of that poster! I must have a copy of that poster! HELP ME! Could you please?
P.S. I promise to get up to speed on your blog and will even contemplate buying your book and spreading the gospel of your awesome talents should you be so inclined as to help my wanting soul... "

I don't imagine substitutes will tide him over.

No comments: