2/03/2004

A friend was slightly miffed at my comment from earlier that at least one of my friends would not date a Republican: "do you realize and/or care that you (or your friends) are being openly prejudiced against someone based on their vague political beliefs? (ie., wouldn't date a republican) I don't think the view is unusual, mind you."

I responded "Well, it was modified by that person to 'depending on why.' I would say that 'dealbreakers' are things that end up melting as we get older, which is why I made the comment that when you make lists of requirements, you end up falling for people who often don't meet them, and pretty soon you are wise enough to let a lot of them go. But there are still some vague ones you might want to stick by. People who say they won't date Republicans usually have certain worldviews that are essential to their personality, and they figure a Republican would be against the very things that make them who they are; I might change my dealbreaker to 'someone who is unkind to other people - the homeless, disabled, or whoever.' So if they're a Republican because they feel that more laissez faire policies are better for the country and in the end help everyone, then God bless 'em; maybe they know more than I do. I would ask them to tell me why so I can understand them better; hell, if they're right and I'm wrong, then I'll become a Republican if it makes sense. (But as you know, I'm probably too much of a bleeding-heart to follow any policy that is hurtful to certain groups.) Finally, note that "date" is not the same as "be friends with." You might have deal-breakers for people you would date that are different from ones for friends or people to hang out with.

He responded: "I'm friends with communists, liberals and republicans, and I think it's really sick to equate someone's politics with their person. yes, one can make generalizations but I honestly feel that people should get a chance. (and that was what it seemed like you were saying). I think you should make that clear vis a vis the republican issue, because I think it's very legitimate to say "a person is cruel, etc." is a deal-breaker, but (just like you said) a sweet wonderful person can honestly think the GOP is better. or think the democrats are better. I don't think people realize (and I am not accusing you) how accepted it is in certain circles to discriminate and stereotype "republicans" as evil, stupid, etc."

No comments: