9/02/2008

Same song, different year

When a new song sounds too much like an old song, it bothers me.  I had an old "Saturday Night Live" episode on this weekend, and the band Keane was playing.  They were singing their song "Somewhere Only We Know" that has the refrain:

O simple thing
Where have you gone...

It was bothering me because it reminded me of a song I'd already heard enough times.  Eventually I realized it was "Let 'Em In" by Wings.  The part that goes:

Sister Suzie,
Brother John
Martin Luther,
Phil and Don...

Usually I tell people things like this, and they say I'm imagining it.  Well, thanks to the internet, I can find that there are other people noticing such similarities.  Here is a video that mixes the two songs.  Exactly...same thing.

UPDATE:  Oh, here are some lists people made of similar songs, guitar riffs stolen from other songs, etc.  

UPDATE 2:  Read this story!

No comments: