9/13/2008

Quotes from the late David Foster Wallace

"But, you know -- wheat germ is better for us than Snickers bars, and I eat Snickers bars all the time, because they're yummy."

"Dogs pretend they're kissing you when they're really mining your mouth for food."

-- both from author David Foster Wallace, who was found hanged today

Besides being a very successful young writer, I think he was a tennis phenom as a youngster (which he later wrote about).

I'm sure the speculation will start that he had too much success too early, or that he was too much of a genius to cope with the mundanities of life. But who really knows?

I'm fairly shocked. I've been dreading for a while the time when I will have to hear frequent news of stars from my generation dying.   I think that age is still several decades off, but it's still shocking and sad when it happens.

No comments: