9/29/2008

Old people are for mocking...?

I'm a little concerned about how the younger generations will see me when I'm old. No matter what kind of person we are when we're young, we're mocked or condescended to when we're old. Oh, not in an intentionally cruel way, and not to our faces. But there is always a subtle ironic tone with which most grandchildren greet their grandparents, or old people in general. I'm guilty of it in the way I've been posting these quotes from my mom, kind of laughing at her old-fashionedness and eccentricities. Ha ha, look at how my mom talks about dating Princeton boys in the '60s, isn't that quaint?

That's what we do with older people sometimes, I think; we tease about how they don't understand the internet, or are stubborn. Maybe it's gentle and harmless, but I want to be careful with it. When we see a really old person, we say they're "cute." But thinking about it, I'm not sure I'll want to be talked down to by younger kids, or called "cute" when I'm old. I want people to still take me at least a little seriously even if I'm forgetful or old-fashioned. But then again, maybe when I'm old I'll just be glad to have a regular poo once a day.

No comments: