8/02/2005

R.H.

Someone just e-mailed me a new critique of the first 100 pages of my manuscript.

The stuff I thought was the best stuff was the stuff she didn't like, or thought needed improvement.

How am I supposed to figure this all out?!?! This is all so confusing.

People wonder how I could possibly spend four years on a book. This is why.

I don't want it to be rejected. I want it to be as good as it can be.

But that means...more work.

And yet, people e-mail me because they want me to read their books and critique them. I love doing that, but I tell them that I can only read the first 10 pages right now...because I just can't focus on anyone else's entire manuscript when I'm in Revision Hell.

I guess the only consolation is that everyone has a different opinion, and I just have to use my judgment, most of all, and then follow the consensus. I just wish I had constant guidance, but that's too much to ask of anyone.

I've given up on projects before, but I'm NOT giving up on this one. It has a lot to say, and it's interesting - it's just the beginning that needs more work. Luckily, I DO have ideas on how to fix it.

No comments: