1/21/2005

I am happy because I am warm. Plus, (not to sound like my character, but...) I have the world's comfiest socks on.

I got a newsletter from my alma mater's Alumni Secondary School Committee today. They inform me that of the kids accepted last year for the class of 2008:

47 percent went to parochial or private schools. Seems like a way lot.
15 percent are kids of an alum (but only 38 percent of alums' kids who applied were admitted)
21 percent of those who applied were accepted. (Tougher than it used to be.)

Here is what it costs to attend for a year:

Tuition and fees $30,716
Housing $5,336
Meals $3,582

The moral of the story is, it's lucky that if I applied today, I wouldn't get in, because who could afford that?!

In other news...

I timidly asked my agent if she thinks we might be able to get book 3 out to some editors before the summer publishing doldrums hit. They're closer than you think! She thinks so. One more month of revisions and I send it back to her.

In response to the hate crimes argument of earlier, a friend writes that the intent of a hate crime is to intimidate more than just the victim:

the argument is that the effect on society from a random crime is not inconsiderable, but the effects of a targeted hate crime serve to create fear among a vulnerable population far greater than if crime were merely random. since the harm is worse, the deterrent + punishment should be worse.

OK, discussion is closed on that argument becuz I don't feel like posting about it anymore.

* * * * * * * *** * *** ** ** ** * * **** * * * * *


No comments: