3/28/2004

I just saw Kevin Smith's new movie, Jersey Girl, and it was wonderful. Every time I see a Kevin Smith movie, I realize how much I've missed him. I love his dialogue, I love his humor, I love his sensibility. It's fun to catch the motifs and scenarios that recur from his other movies, and it's also fun to see how he has evolved since "Clerks" (still my favorite of his films).

The New York/New Jersey tension in the film is interesting and something I relate to. Growing up near the Jersey shore, you pretty much see New York as a scarybusy place that your parents bring you to every few years for a Broadway musical. Completely different world from the 'burbs.

A guy who writes for Newsweek published an interview with Smith in which he keeps asking him picky questions about things the interviewer didn't like in the film. This guy apparently liked his other films but not this one so much. It was a really weird interview; it seemed like the two of them should have just had a private conversation.

J-Girl was a touching movie that made me laugh out loud and sometimes nearly cry. Ben Affleck and George Carlin were very good, and so was the little girl in it. So go see it. Jersey power!

No comments: