1/07/2004

I had to do my duty and go see a literary reading that involved the famous Steve Glass. After all, I've written about him here a few times. Also reading were Jonathan Ames (whose writing I enjoyed in New York Press) and Janice Erlbaum (whose writing I didn't know but is probably lovely). It's part of the Happy Ending Bar's reading series, and I must say that it was the best reading I've been to. Why? Because NOBODY BORED US. Readings can get rather monotonous (I'm sure some of mine have been.) Hint: Give yourself a time-limit. I know I will.

Anyway, first we were regaled by Whitney Pastorek on her acoustic guitar. She played three '80s songs and included the lyrics "Something something something" in Katrina and the Waves' "Walking on Sunshine," which made me happy because here I was thinking I didn't know the words. After that, "Girlbomb" Erlbaum read about one of her experiences, as did Ames. Both were quite funny.

Then Glass went up there. He was described as "the infamous, notorious Steve Glass" by host Amanda Stern. She read his bio, including "former journalist," which brought titters from the crowd.

Then, Mr. Glass went up to the microphone. His hair was delightfullly wavy, and he looked so warm and cuddly that I couldn't see how anyone wouldn't want to hug him and make him chicken soup. Very endearing.

True to form, he started off with a self-deprecating joke.

He read a funny passage from The Fabulist about Hebrew school. Everyone was laughing at all the right moments, clapping at others. And as I watched him read, I couldn't help but wonder: Was he thinking, "I wish all this was happening without my having screwed up...I wish I was just in New York reading my writing to a crowd that only knows one thing about me: that I'm a good writer."

No comments: