3/24/2006

Sexist Spitzer ad

Eliot Spitzer seems like an OK guy. But I saw this TV ad yesterday that immediately struck me as really sexist. Am I missing something?

"For every New Yorker whose husband or child has to go somewhere else just to get a job. For every New Yorker drowning in property taxes who's been told you can't fight City Hall so many times they've come to believe it. For every New Yorker without a voice."

Spitzer then says: "I represent the people of the State of New York."

This reminds me of the radio ads from the '50s about women waiting for their husbands to come home from work. Wouldn't it have been just as easy to say "whose spouse"? Am I missing something? I'm not a raging feminist or anything; this just seems obvious.

Congratulations

To Jessica on her amazing Jeopardy performance. Even though she lost in the end, she racked up an amazing number of points on questions I never would have gotten. In fact, I don't think I knew any of the hard questions at all. Many years ago, I used to be smart - what happened?!?

No comments: