3/12/2006

My totally awesome day

Before, I was doing my taxes and decided to eat some nerds candy. I accidentally dropped one of the strawberry Nerds and couldn’t find it, so I got a flashlight and began crawling all over my rug looking for the Nerd. I spent at least 10 minutes looking around my room for the Nerd. (And yes, ha ha ha I DID look in the mirror, ha ha ha you so funny.) I found it. Breathe a sigh of relief. I don’t want to attract any creatures with extra goodies.

Earlier today, I went to meet my mom for her birthday lunch, and I went to throw my credit card payment into the mailbox on the corner. But instead I threw my mom’s birthday card into the mailbox. So then I had to throw in three notes for the mailman saying, “Please put blue envelope that says MOM on it into [my address].” My mom didn’t seem to care because she still got to eat lobster.

What have we learned today, class?

Updates

Okay, I have a few free minutes...

Spring

We in the Northeast were blessed with a preview of spring weather yesterday and today. The only downside was something I was reminded of this evening: Those LOUD Motorcycles. Ugh.

Teaching

Next week I am going to teach at a conference for high school writers. My seminar is called "What's So Funny?" and it's about comedy writing. I'm looking forward to it. Among others, we'll be reading pieces by David Sedaris and the dazzling Ned Vizzini. I am also going to note E.B. White's famous quote, "Analyzing humor is like dissecting a frog. Few people are interested and the frog dies of it." I'm not one to quibble with a master, but frogs don't die of being dissected. In any case, it shows that comedy isn't a lot of fun to analyze, but we will. And we'll even be looking at Simpsons dialogue. Betcha never did that in school!

Writing

The biggest step you can take as an unpublished writer is to find an agent who wants to represent your novel. They are the ones having lunch with editors, who can say, "I have this great manuscript you've got to look at!!!" But even when you get an agent, they do take a while to read your stuff, just like anyone else in this busy business. So I'm waiting to hear more about my project(s).

Anyway

I'm slowly coming out of hibernation. I was at a party tonight at which green hamantaschen was served in honor of both St. Pat's and Purim. We're very diverse around here.

No comments: