10/12/2004

Woke up, got dressed.

Why you should not buy electronics online

A public service message from me.


Yesterday I decided it was finally time to get a digital camera. I've always wanted to have a really good camera with a good zoom and the ability to adjust the shutter speed, even if it cost more. I had already asked Kevin at ForgottenNewYork for a recommendation for a camera with those features that an amateur like me could use, and he recommended this one. I could have bought it on line.

But I don't like that idea. What if I get it and something's missing, or broken? Then I have to put it back in the mail. Besides, I like to try things before buying.

So instead I went to the J&R Computer World in New York, tried a few similar cameras, and bought this one. I was passing the old church on the way back to the WTC PATH station, so I put batteries in and went to take a picture. I looked through the view finder and there was already a frozen image of the graves and trees on the screen. Spooky.

Then the zoom lens moved in and out by itself, and snapped another picture.

Maybe I had done something wrong. I tried to play with it more but it wanted to take its own pictures every six seconds. I pressed "off" a few times before finally it turned off.

I got it home and read the instruction manual. It seemed that I'd done everything right. I called Canon and they suggested trying different batteries, as the ones in the box could have gotten old. I did, but no luck. From their end, they said, I could send it in for repairs. That seemed like a pain since I had bought it two hours ago.

So I took the train back to Park Row and the manager, a very nice guy named Mark, said it wasn't my fault and it looked like there were gremlins in it. He sent me next door, and the guy at the desk said, "I gotta see this. I heard there were gremlins in your camera." He gave me a new camera, and it's been working great.

But if I'd bought the thing on-line and had to mail it back, it would have been a pain.

So moral of the story, don't buy things on line.

Also, crack is wack.

No comments: