10/25/2004

I tried to install my digital camera software on my computer, and it somehow made the system reboot and then got locked in the second screen after rebooting, which is the Windows Me screen. It sounds like it's rebooting but stays locked on the screen. I was on with Dell for a while and we tried different ways to get into Safe Mode, but it won't get in. They say that it's likely that I'll just have to reinstall the operating system, which takes hours on the phone. It also erases everything on the computer, which isn't so bad because I back things up maniacally, but I'd still like to avoid it if possible. I think every once in a while I'll turn on the computer again to see if it works. I eventually may have to reinstall the OS. The guy on the phone said that Windows Me doesn't provide as many ways to get into the system to erase the new software (which may be corrupting the file) as other programs do. It seems like I should be able to have a way to just get in and erase the new application, which is mucking my my computer, but I can't. So for now, I'm temporarily using a different computer. Anyway, if anyone actually knows about computers and has any other ideas on how to fix this, let me know. But if you really do know something, you probably know that if I can't get into safe mode (when I tried it just went back to the me screen), it's probably hopeless. It's not so bad as I have things backed up. It's just a pain. Dopey software.

No comments: