7/02/2007


Dear cassette tapes,

We don't spend that much time together these days, you and I.

But you really got me through high school, and some college studying. I remember the excitement of hearing a song on the radio and not knowing who it was by, but rushing to tape some of it. There was no internet to look up song lyrics, and sometimes it would take me years to figure out whose song it was. The mystery was always intriguing.

I named one tape "Wise Fool" because I made it during my sophomore year in college. Other tapes remind me of other tumultuous times in my youth. I can look at them fondly and remember.

Some tapes have my brother and me hamming it up, or trying to pretend we were DJ's. I have a friend on one or two doing song parodies.

Tapes, even though you and I don't spend much time together, I know you're there. So thanks for having provided a soundtrack to my growing up - or attempts to do so, anyway.

No comments: