7/13/2007

Concidence

Just hours after I posted a blog post about waiting for my agent, she e-mailed me and said she read the new version of the book! (And no, she doesn't read this, to my knowledge. Although ya never know). She had taken it with her on a much-needed vacation.

She said she is ready to sell the book, which is a huge relief. But since I haven't looked at it since I gave it to her in April, I have to take another quick last look to see if any little things need to be changed.

After I hand it in, she'll be giving it to editors over the next few months. My work will be over.

Writing, Part II

The other day, I read this post in a chick-lit writing newsgroup I'm part of. It reminds me again how lucky I am to have been published. And that it always takes patience...

A woman wrote:

I was agented and ended up with two unsold mss. My agent and I parted ways back in September and I'm still looking for a new one (I have 3 mss I've written since and am wrapping up a fourth very soon). It's a bit daunting to try to find someone who is willing to A. sign me in this tight market and B. take on this backlist I'm accumulating. I never imagined it would be this hard to find another agent. Although I never imagined ANY of this (other than the actual writing) would be this hard.

When I started querying the first time over 4 years ago, I never imagined I'd be no closer to publication 4 years later. It is heartbreaking when you add up all the blood, sweat,tears and the time we've poured into our work to be no closer. Sure, I've learned a lot and improved my writing over the years, but I feel like I'm not any closer to selling a book.

My only consolation is knowing it's not just me; there are a lot oftalented writers out there in the same boat. We'll get there; what makes us true writers is the chutzpah to put our work out there and stick it out until something catches. I take heart in knowing the market WILL turn. It has to. Period.

And finally

I should note that today is Friday the 13th. Beware of black cats! You all have a great weekend. We'll be enjoying the sun.

No comments: