8/14/2006

Movies Seen

Little Miss Sunshine

Recently-released family drama. It was cute and I loved the ending, but I wasn't laughing all the way through it like most of the senior citizens in the audience were. I think it was overrated. Still, I felt happy when I left, because of the ending. I would advise waiting until the DVD, but the critics seem to love it, so maybe you will disagree with me.

V for Vendetta

Just out on DVD. Great movie. I was glued to my seat, or actually, my mattress. Who would think I'd enjoy something set in the future in London, with a weird masked man? Anyway, it's an extrapolation of what would happen in a totalitarian society.

Godspell

My parents had the record of this musical when I was little, and the movie version used to be shown on TV every year. But it had been at least 20 years since I'd seen it, so when I noticed the DVD version at my local library last week, I picked it up.

I didn't really remember anything about the actual show, except for the amazing music. (I played the tape once in my dorm room in college and my roommate asked me what "group" it was.)

My first surprise was that it was shot in 1972 New York, and there was so much that looks similar to today, with a few things different. Right away, that was interesting. It's worth watching for the luscious New York scenery alone. The music was wonderful, of course. It's not very plot-based -- it's sort of a humorous retelling of the Bible, using New York hippies dancing around -- but I can say was that I enjoyed watching it anyway. There's some humor in it; a guy says "Jesus Christ!" and nearly gets slapped. Victor Garber is the star.

At the beginning, it shows the World Trade Center, and then you hear the sound of a plane and it goes to something else. That's kind of weird.


Godspell:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0070121/

V for Vendetta:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0434409/

Little Miss Sunshine:

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0449059/

No comments: