8/21/2008

Scratch and sniff

I wish they still made these.

I thought about them yesterday because on the way home from work, I smelled something that reminded me of the dill pickle one.

Then I remembered how scratch & sniffs got me into a minor scandal in fourth grade.

What happened was, I brought an order form for scratch and sniffs to my bus stop.  My teacher had given it out in class.  Just like with Scholastic books, you could give the order form back to your teacher with the money, and they'd order them all at once.  I wasn't sure I was going to order any.  This girl named Dana who was in first grade, who lived in the house behind mine, told me she wanted some.  So Dana got $1.75 cash from her mom and gave it to me so I could give it to my teacher for the stickers.

It was at the end of the school year, and for some reason, the stickers were late in coming in.  Dana kept walking into our back yard every day and knocking on our sliding glass door to ask where the stickers were.  I just wanted to eat my spaghetti and there she was knocking on the door.  I told her that my teacher said they still hadn't come in yet.

But Dana's mom kept sending her over every day to ensure that I hadn't just pocketed the $1.75.  Finally, my mom wrote down the teacher's phone number so Dana's mom could call and verify this.

Anyway, when the new school year started, the stickers came in and I gave them to Dana.  End of story.

And some people think the suburbs are boring.  Hmph!!!

Post script:  These days, apparently, $1.75 will get you one sticker...  Now why didn't I save any??

No comments: