6/15/2005

Blame it on the (lack of?) rain

Sometimes, people ask me why I'm so fascinated with the weather. Boy howdy, listen to those people now. All I hear on the way to work each mornin' are comments about how hot it is, how really really hot it is, how mighty hot it is, and when it will break and rain already...and that's largely because it affects so many things - when kids get out of school, the clothes you wear to work, activities you can and can't do, general health. Clearly it is, of some sense, of interest. Am I more fascinated than the average person? Sure - but weather affects many aspects of life, and I find that interesting. Besides, many things intrigue me, and if they didn't, I probably couldn't write novels...part of writing is bringing out the richness of an everyday experience.

For instance, it makes a difference whether I start my book with "There were clouds in the sky" or "He saw clouds in the sky that were as lumpy and ridged as the back of Old Mrs. Poke's legs."
What bothers me is the occasional person who questions my fascination as if they could never ever understand such a thing. You don't have to share it, but there are plenty of fascinations people have that I respect without sharing them. I haven't gotten into watching basketball on TV, and I find that a lot of people's sports allegiances are based on purely arbitrary reasons, but it's still fun to have a team, to root for that team, to admire the strategy and to get excited about the slow building of any athletic season. And maybe someday I'll get into basketball if I have the inclination. Instead, I admire a slow building of thunderheads. So?

-Language usage note: I don't know exactly why "Boy howdy" has gotten more popular lately, but I wanted to use it once. Thank you for your time.

No comments: