5/05/2004

Woke up, put on clothes, went to work.

Last night was fun team trivia (which takes place every Tuesday night at the Baggott Inn in the Village). People seemed to enjoy one of my general knowledge questions: "What element makes up 83 percent of the atmosphere around Uranus?"

On another note...In the 1990s, I used to read New York Press a lot, especially for columnists like Jonathan Ames and Amy Sohn. There started being occasional dispatches by a nerdy, self-deprecating bright kid who was a teenager at Stuyvesant H.S. They were pretty funny and amazingly perceptive for a teenager, so I always looked forward to them. Then when authors started getting websites, I put in different names of authors I liked, including his. A book of his essays had been published, and he had a pretty good website about it (since his first love had actually been computers more than writing). I sent an e-mail saying congrats and that I'd liked his New York Press stuff for a long time, and he was kind enough to write back. Then he sold a novel about a nerdy kid who takes a pill that tells him the right things to say to be popular in high school. I read an advance copy and it was really good - funny, perceptive, not too full of itself. The amazing thing is that while he's only 23, he manages to keep himself grounded. He's fairly savvy about pubishing and the perks and drawbacks. The novel, Be More Chill by Ned Vizzini, is coming out in June, and here's a really good interview with him on Wordriot.org, a literary mag/website edited by another amazingly perceptive young writer. I'm glad there'll be good things to read this summer.

No comments: