5/29/2004

Woke up, put on clothes, didn't go to work.

Conversation I heard at a New York City street fair:

MAN: What language are you speaking?
BEARDED VENDOR: Hebrew. I'm Jewish.
MAN: You look like Allah.
BEARDED VENDOR: I'm not fucking Allah.

This morning I volunteered at a pretty well-run soup kitchen in NY for a few hours. They need more people on a holiday weekend, esp. at the end of the month when gov't checks run out and people are hungrier. My job was to stand by the door and help give away some extra food that had been donated. Doing this, I clearly saw the right-wing side of things -- I mean, what's the incentive for anyone to work when they can take home three cans of sardines, a bottle of no-frills apple juice, and powdered milk without even lifting a finger?! What are we trying to do, make everything equal? (Note: Heavy sarcasm at work.)

No comments: