5/31/2004

Woke up, put clothes on, didn't go to work.

Dawn responded to my anti-right-wing comment. Since I don't like when other people generalize about liberal beliefs, I figured it was only fair to print her responses to my generalizations, and a follow up. (Note: Her blog is worth reading today just for the Eternal Sunshine story - that's pretty amazing!)

DAWN: "I just read your blog. Coincidentally, I volunteered yesterday morning too, partly because I thought volunteers would be more needed on a holiday weekend. I know what you mean in that many right-wingers seem to err on the side of harshness with regard to the poor. However, I don't think it's right to write off a whole group of people as heartless because they have conservative beliefs.

Only a tiny percentage of people volunteer, period. Lefties may claim to care about the poor, but all that apparent concern doesn't add up to much if they don't act on it and give of themselves when they can.
Rather than distinguishing between conservatives and liberals, saying conservatives are heartless and liberals care, I think it's better to simply point out the importance of actually doing something for those less fortunate, regardless of what philosophy one proclaims."

MY RESPONSE: "I agree. The point wasn't that I volunteered, though. The point was that a typical right-wing argument is that if you help people, there's no 'incentive for them to work hard.' This is such a ridiculous argument because obviously the incentive to work hard is that you can afford good things and not have to eat in a soup kitchen or live according to other people's will."

DAWN: "I know the volunteer thing wasn't your point, but I think that's a gross oversimplification of right-wing arguments. Sure, there are ultraconservatives, or libertarians like [names bleeped], who don't believe the government should give any humanitarian aid. But most conservatives would agree that the poor, or at least the very poor, should receive some sort of help. They just believe it should be as part of programs that give them an incentive to work, and not mere handouts--save for things like disaster and emergency aid. It's better for charities to be in the business of handouts and government to be in the business of getting people on their feet."

Well, that was some donated food for thought.

I also meant a few days ago to print Jon K. the Writer's responses to one of my entries, but I didn't get around to it. So until I do, check out his writing at www.rumored.com.

No comments: