12/05/2003

The snow started at 10 a.m. and there's now at least four inches out there. I see someone getting his battery jumped out on the corner.

Many years ago, when I was going through a rough postcollege transitional period, I had a two-day temp job in Princeton even though I lived in Hoboken. There were reports of snow the next day, but I decided to chance it and drive an hour down to the job anyway. The snow began coming down around 10 and didn't let up. They let me off work around 3, and when I swung back onto the Turnpike, NO ONE was on the road. The painted lane lines had all been covered in snow, so the Turnpike looked like one vast sheet of snow, just for me and my '85 Plymouth Duster. I left the radio off and just listened to the heater the whole way, and when I got it home, I parked on the corner half in a crosswalk, and the battery died. My neighbor helped me push the car in a little more, and then a few days later a local mechanic who ran a shop out of his garage jumped it for me. I ended up with a profit of about $10 on that day's work after the mechanic cost, so I figured at least I'd gotten something out of it.

Dan wants to add to his prior missive:

Dear Luisa,
I had forgotten to ask you something.
You mentioned that you have children with your husband, Jose, Jacqueline and Jude. Do you have three children with those names, or is your husband’s name Jose and the two of you begot Jacqueline and Jude? And when you want your son, do you say, “Hey Jude”?
Anxious for your response.



No comments: