11/03/2003

I'm not sure exactly what writers' block is -- which is not to say that I haven't been stymied many times. It's just that I haven't experienced what I'd consider a mental block. There have many times when I needed to take a break and go into a "thinking period." It's a hard time, because there's no telling how long it might take to come up with the ideas I need to fix whatever the problem is that I've encountered. It could take a few days or a few weeks. The solution or next plot twist or resolution might come while I'm crossing the street, listening to strangers talk to each other, reading other people's writing or just going through daily life. But it's always on my mind during that time.

There was one time when I became convinced I had to rewrite an entire screenplay because I thought of a better plot twist, and I got index cards and mapped it all out a different way, then realized the first way was better. But all of those exercises are useful, somehow. (Not that the thing ever proved worthy in the end, but I'm glad I wrote it.)

Usually, I've let a story gel for a long time before I start writing it, so that's probably why I don't get blocked so much. I don't just start with one idea and see where it takes me. One of the things I learned early on was to know how a story will end before you begin it. Although that might change.

On another note, I just added the back cover copy of Square Two here.

No comments: