7/03/2008

I got this response from Wes
(check out his very artistic blog, by the way):

Your assessment of the Baltimore Inner Harbor is WRONG!

Sorry it's taken me so long to get around to commenting on your libel of the Baltimore Inner Harbor! Yes, you're right that there's not a ton to the Inner Harbor *itself*, but there's enough going on in the area that you could easily vacation there for a week or more and not run out of things to do.
In addition to the handful of museums and educational attractions (the nerdy will particularly enjoy the MD Science Center and Geppi's Entertainment Museum), restaurants, and other noteworthy sights around the harbor and in downtown Baltimore, the Light Rail will take you to a number of locations throughout the state. Malls, oversized supermarkets, fairs, horse racing, zany LARP sessions where moderately successful businesspeople and engineers dress up in straitjackets and pretend to be retarded, drooling vampires (seriously, though admittedly I don't find these to be verymuch fun at all) -- they're all accessible via the rail.
Not to mention that Baltimore is a quick train ride away from DC, so you've pretty much got all of the sights and sounds of the Capitol available to you as well. So there.
But then, you would have known all this if you'd told me you were coming! The opportunity to catch up with me, after all, is the best reason to visit the Inner Harbor. ;)

My response:

Awww, Wes, the last line is so poignant. And as a New Jerseyan, I respect your willingness to defend the honor of your maligned homeland.

Actually, I haven't been to the Inner Harbor in a few years. But I must say, my indictment was indeed of the Harbor itself. Yes, I'm sure you're right that you can get to all kinds of great things via the light rail - but the fact is, the Harbor itself is a bit boring. The shopping, eating, and gawking are good for a day and that's it. (You can walk to a baseball stadium, though, if you're into that.)

I do believe that it might be a nice starting point for vising other things, so I'll give you that. I'm sure it's a great area to live in.

Anyway, I wish everyone a happy weekend, even if you're going camping or to the Inner Harbor.

No comments: