2/19/2008

Trivia Night

My Hubby and I hosted trivia tonight. Thanks to all our friends and trivia vets who came out!!

As usual, the generation gap reared its head. We asked the teams to write down Madonna's first 10 top-40 hits. Some of the teams could only think up 7 or 8 Madonna songs. Doing the math, people have to be at least 21 to be in the bar. If they were 21, that means they could have been born as late as 1987. 1987! Madonna's first 10 hits were between 1983 and 1986.

So I guess asking those young 'uns to name them was like asking me to name Wings' first top 40 hits, or something. But still, Madonna's still around doin' her thing.

This subhead's just six words long

In other news, the folks behind the six-word memoir book are quite good at getting publicity. This week, they rated an article in the New Yorker's "Talk of the Town" section. Almost all the sentences in the article are six words long. Pretty impressive.

It's probably getting so much attention because a) it's a good gimmick, b) it includes a lot of literary people who no doubt have connections*, and c) it's fun.

[*a good number of whom once worked on the U. Penn school paper, like myself...]

Check out its Amazon rank. Damn, I coulda used a rank like that! (No, I don't get any royalties from my six-word contribution.)

Moms are funny

In other news, recently, my mom asked me if it's true that they're not selling records anymore. (Moms are funny like that.) She also said the following: "My mother wanted to name me Amy. My father wanted to name me Annie. (Pause) Nixmary is not a nice name."

And finally

Combonym of the week:

Wrestless -- When you're so antsy, you want to wrestle.

No comments: