12/28/2007

Same old song

I’m sure you’ve heard a song called "Bubbly" by Colbie Caillat:

It starts in my toes
and I crinkle my nose
whereever it goes
I always know

Well, if you are going to splash into public view with a signature song, would you really want it to be a song whose main melody sounds very similar to a song that was out only six years ago?

I’m talking about “Superman” by Five for Fighting.

I’m only a maaaaan
In a silly red sheet
Digging for Kryptonite
On this one-way street

See if you hear a similarity in the melody:

It starts in my toes/
And I crinkle my nose

I’m only a man/
In a silly red sheet

It’s the same darn thing!

Does this make my a hypocrite? After all, rappers use melodies and samples from other songs all the time, and I don't complain about those. Yes, but they don’t try to hide it. In the album, they credit whoever they sampled from (at least, usually).

Now, it’s possible any two people can have similar ideas quite by accident. Even similar sentences. But melodies are familiar enough, especially to people in the music biz, that sometimes it just seems odd when parts of songs (even small parts) are so close together. Maybe I’m just annoyed because every time I hear

It starts in my toes/
And I crinkle my nose

I then want to hear

“It ain’t eeeasy..to be…meeeee…”

On another matter, VH-1 recently released its list of the top songs of the ‘90s. By “top” they may have meant “most corny,” since Rico Suave is at #100 and “I’m too Sexy” is in there, too.

They did a countdown of all the songs on TV last week, and the Hubby and I watched it.

During the countdown, they mentioned “Jump! Jump!” and implied that no one knows what the two boys from “Kris Kross” are doing today. As if they’d be really hard to find. Their names are both Chris. Their last names are on the internet. They’d be about 27 now. How hard can that be?

Well, that’s enough ranting for today. I hope you all have a lovely new year.
TGIF!!

No comments: