11/21/2007

Thoughts on writing and revising

I'm in a writing group that meets once a month. We sit around, read about 1-8 pages of our works-in-progress, and critique each other.

Last Friday, this dude in the group who has been revising his novel told us, "I have a friend who says you should get rid of all adverbs from your writing."

Most of us responded that that sounded like a bunch of hooey served up for consumption in a tired old college writing workshop (or words to that effect).

He agreed, but noted that in one of his sentences, "He scared her and she shook apprehensively," he really didn't need the word "apprehensively." "How else would she have shaken?" he asked.

We also agreed.

Anyway, the point is that there are exceptions to every writing rule, and you can't sit around revising yourself to death. Maybe in that case, that one worked, but not always.

Which leads me to...

On the cover of this week's Newsweek is a story about the new handheld systems that let you download books, and you read them on the screen. They ask if this will be the end of books as we know them. Well, I'd say, probably not...but I have no problem with these devices. You still have to pay $9.99 per book, so it will still benefit writers and publishers. You usually will get the first chapter of any book free, which is interesting. I prefer to browse before I buy, so as a consumer, I like the idea. I also think it will lead to writers revising their beginnings a lot more, which they should. Heck, you know I do!

I won't be purchasing one of these devices, because I think they're of most value to people who commute or take planes for business travel a lot. Having to schlep 2-3 new books onto a plane each time would be daunting. But for me, when it comes to reading a book, I'd still rather sit down with a real book rather than with a device. And it needs no batteries.

Newsweek also notes that this innovation means that someday, writers will be able to continually upgrade their books. Ay carumba! Some of us will never finish! I have a few nips and tucks I'd like to go back and make to my book... ;)

Anyway, that's my thoughts on writing for today. HAVE A GREAT THANKSGIVING!!!

Love (and thanks for reading), me

No comments: