11/20/2007

Personal ad jerk

The Hubby e-mailed me a link to this newscast about a guy who sent a jerky response to an internet dater. After she rejected him (following one e-mail exchange), he told her she was out of shape, and reminded her that he was a successful Ivy grad with a car, bla bla.

http://gawker.com/news/john-fitzgerald-page/if-this-could-happen-to-an-ivy-league-grad-someone-with-an-iq-like-mine-this-could-happen-to-anybody-324920.php?autoplay=true

You know, I have thought about posting some thoughts on dating here, but there are so many exceptions to every rule, piece of advice, or experience I can think of. Still, I think people should always follow one rule when dating: DO NOT BE MEAN.

If someone is putting him or herself out there, they are automatically vulnerable. Rejections should be done nicely, and with consideration for the other person's feelings. If you don't like someone, then fine, but don't insult them.

I remember that one time a guy kept e-mailing me with really short emails that said nothing at all about himself. His profile said very little, too. I responded once, asking him some questions, and he didn't answer any of them. So I basically knew nothing about him except for a few words and his constant, continual requests for my phone number. He kept asking for my phone number, both by IM'ing me constantly and emailing for it. I was already corresponding with some other people, and didn't want to give out my number to someone who didn't tell me anything about himself. Finally, I wrote back and said I'd gotten busy, but wished him good luck. He responded, "Fine, I really do not think we'd be a match. I really do not like your new photo at all!" I guess he did that to save face. Ah well. I am so glad to be out of that mess. It's not easy, it really isn't.

No comments: