9/26/2005

Critiquing writers

There was some discussion recently among my writing group about criticism that's unhelpful. I confess that I actually instigated the discussion. I've found that lately, people in my group have been asking me questions about the piece I've brought, rather than telling me what THEY think. And this was pissing me off.

For instance, I would bring chapter 3 of my novel and they'd say, "Is there a payoff to this later?" or "Who is your audience?" or even "Why did you choose this to bring?" I would rather hear what THEY think, not what *I* think, because an editor or reader is not going to call me on the phone and ask me whether a paragraph is justified -- they will either keep reading, or not. It would be more helpful if the group said, "This seems like it's targeted toward 12-year-old boys, because of the video game references" or "This part is a bit dull unless it's leading to some action soon."

I think this has been happening more because I've been bringing novel excerpts rather than short stories where the beginning and end are obvious. But that doesn't mean they should sit around and ask questions about what happens next. I want critiques on what I've brought, not an interrogation about my goals.

I could go on at length about the difference between helpful and unhelpful criticism in writing groups. Let me just say this:

1. Don't tell a writer his work is 'good' or 'sucks.' That's a) too vague, b) unnecessarily hurtful in some cases, and c) useless, as opinions on what's good or sucks can be as diverse as your freckles. Best-sellers can suck, too. INSTEAD, tell them where it sucks, and why, and what they can do to make it better. Be specific. If a page is boring and doesn't move the story along, say so. But comment on what's good about it, too, so a writer doesn't accidentally take something good out, and so that they understand what they're doing right.

2. Criticism on how you feel while you're reading is important. If pages of it don't hold your interest, say so. If something sparks your curiosity, tell exactly where. If a character says something that puts you in suspense, mark that down on the paper. If something makes you laugh, put a smiley face. These are the things that determine whether readers keep reading. Did a poignant passage make you sad? I want to know that.

3. Okay, here's one. Someone wrote on my most recent piece, "So many visuals." Um, is that good or bad? Sometimes, people will put a check mark next to a sentence, or circle it - and I have no idea what that means. Can ya ^$#(* be more specific please?

4. Oh, this one's for friends. If you ask to see something I'm writing, don't then put it aside for two months. This happens to ALL writers: We give our friends something to read, and then they don't get to it and the issue kind of hangs in the air for a while after that. I know why it happens: Because you hear your friend talk about his/her book, and you're intrigued, and you like your friend, so you want to see it. Then you get it and realize it's raw and not a work of genius, and so you aren't as excited anymore. Especially since it's 300 pages long. Then weeks turn to months. But this is kind of tough luck - you asked to read it, and your friend went through the trouble to print it out, and now she/he needs your thoughts. Now that you've learned your lesson, next time, ask a friend if you can read 10 pages. That should save you the trouble of having a 200-page manuscript on a pile of things on your desk. (Note: Val, this was not directed at you. You're off the hook. It's a general reference.)

5. Don't make the mistake of thinking that because you're not a professional, your criticism doesn't matter as much. The editors or readers getting a manuscript don't have any magical powers or talents that you don't. They'll read the book just like you do. So if you find it really interesting, other people will too, and if you find it boring, other people might, as well. Your critique DOES matter.

6. Write stuff on the MS as you read it. Don't make up stuff later. Editors and readers will only read it once, and have their first impressions that will help them decide whether to keep reading. Then, when you get to the end, write your overall thoughts.

7. Read this just like you would a book in the library.

In short, you may be getting into a lot if you volunteer to read someone's work-in-progress, or if you join a writing group. Just remember, we writers lose perspective on our stuff, so just telling us anything at all about where it works for you and where it doesn't -- and why -- is invaluable to us. Just be specific, and give suggestions.

One more thing. On my last piece, I got two comments on my last line. Someone wrote, "Great last line." Someone else wrote, "I'm not sure I get this." This is good. It tells me that some will love the last line, and others won't understand it...depending on my aim, I may need to make it clearer. But I'm glad I know that it DOES make sense to some people. So both comments are useful.

Oh, and a big thank you to anyone who's read my unfinished manuscripts over the years, as well as to people who've read this blog and asked if they could submit a few pages to me (usually I follow my own advice and try to keep it to 5-10 pages, otherwise, I'll never get to it!)



finishing revisions two weeks ago...

No comments: