7/03/2004

Woke up, put clothes on, didn't go to work.

Happy belated Canada Day! Especially to Canadians like Tony from trivia. Here's a primer.

So I'm in the midwest right now, and I look at the movie section of the paper, and an ad for one theater says:

"Refills of pop, free.
Refills of corn, 50 cents."

And I think: What does that mean? Pop corn is one thing.

Then I remember that when they say "pop," they mean soda. Those wacky Midwesties.

A girl named Caryn wrote to me to tell me that she is finding the name Gert distracting her while reading Square Two. I told her her name is weird, too.

I finished reading "Eats, Shoots and Leaves." The author makes note, as I did earlier, of the fact that people used "enormity" incorrectly a lot after 9/11. But in my dictionary it actually says, "Informal: Great size, immensity." Maybe it's becoming accepted.

What I didn't like is that the author made some joke about how grammarians were upset after 9/11 not by Osama, but by the incorrect use of enormity. Even though it's an obvious joke, it strikes me that it's a bit insensitive even if it didn't mean to be. It seems like people are starting to become desensitized to the events of 3 years ago now. Right after it happened, there was a question of how long it would take. With Michael Moore naming his film "Fahrenheit 911" and more casual references to it, maybe people are feeling it's ok to be a little more casual about it. I don't think I agree. I don't like the idea of accepting it as business as usual.

No comments: