4/22/2004

Woke up, put on clothes, went to work.

A few people have asked me lately how to write a good query letter to catch an editor's or agent's attention. Here's a sample I concocted.

Dear Ms. Editor,

I'm enclosing the first three chapters of my recently completed comedic novel, UGLY IN PINK. I'm a big fan of Page Books, and I think my book would be perfect for your line.

UGLY IN PINK is a dark comedy about a not-so-great-looking 26-year-old female who goes to a Halloween party disguised as a mermaid and meets the man of her dreams - except, she has to keep dressing like a mermaid every time she dates him to satisfy his fetish. She also has an angry parrot who talks back to her and a father who runs a religious cult.

I was a journalism major at Catatonic State University and have written short stories for some time, although I work full-time as a hair dresser. My novel is approximately 310 pages.

If you would like to see the rest of UGLY IN PINK, please e-mail me at publishmeplease@desperate.com or call me at (212) 555-5555, or feel free to send a note in the enclosed stamped envelope.

No comments: