8/26/2011

Natural disasters

So, catching up...

I was excited to finally be in an earthquake at the ripe age of 40. I was actually in a small one in January of 1979 when I was in second grade in Matawan, NJ, but I didn't hear or feel it because I was in the noisy lunchroom. Our teachers told us about it when we got back into class, and used it as a teaching experience. Apparently there is a small fault line that runs through Cheesequake Park, although the park gets its name from Indian words and not from the fault line.

Anyway, since then, I've been disappointed that I haven't felt any quakes. So when I was sitting at my desk at work and felt a slight rumbling -- but didn't hear the usual sound of a truck passing -- I got up and said, "Did we just have an earthquake?" Two other people came out of their offices and said the same thing. Then someone said, "It's still going on." I thought of putting something up on our newspaper website, but I didn't want to do it if a truck hit our office; we'd look rather stupid. Then a co-worker said her husband in Central Jersey also felt it, so we knew it was real.

And that's the exciting story.

As for the hurricane, we'll see what happens. As always, I have a link at the right to the gov't hurricane maps.

No comments: