6/27/2009

The battle of who could care less

I've heard some of my peers (not most, but some) saying they really don't care about Michael Jackson's death. Usually I don't care much about celebrity deaths either, but you have to realize that even if you didn't like him or his music, he was one of the biggest celebrities of the world, and an '80s phenomenon. And I *did* like him and his music. That said, even if I feel bad (and shocked), it's not exactly going to affect my daily life.

The whole thing got me to thinking about celebrity deaths I cared and didn't care about. Luckily, most of the celebrities in my age group probably have a lot of living to do. The exceptions, like Kurt Cobain or the (younger) Heath Ledger, I really didn't care about much.

But I remember feeling really affected by River Phoenix. I'm not sure why; maybe because he always seemed so soulful in his roles, particularly in "Stand By Me" and "Running on Empty." (The latter was a depressing, intense, and excellent film that I highly recommend).

I guess it'll be pretty terrible when we get old enough that a lot of the celebs our age start passing away.

No comments: