10/31/2007


BOO!!!

Scared ya, didn't I? Okay, maybe not.

There is always something pleasurable about getting something for free. Maybe it's the fact that you know you don't have to stop enjoying it because of the price - especially if that free thing is food.

Halloween was something I looked forward to during all of October as a kid. Many of you did, too. It's so odd that this strange holiday, which has us literally asking strangers for candy, has lasted into modern times - but hey, it did.

There were some wonderful aspects beyond the candy, as well. I always enjoyed catching that glimpse into the foyer of a house where you didn't know the neighbor, but you saw the house all the time - and now you got to see how they lived for a moment. You also got to see what they chose to give out. If they gave out any kind of chocolate bar, they got points in my book. Those annoying Bit-O-Honeys and Mary Janes, which broke your braces, had to go. And what were those B-B-Bats (banana taffy on a stick?!) and Sugar Daddys (caramel on a stick?) What out-of-touch person was giving those out?? They would sit in my trick-or-treat bag for a year, along with the red and white swirly mints.

Sucking candy was bottom of the barrel, but if it was a Charms or Life Savers lollypop, at least it was big and had character. I liked those. Dum-Dums pops were just weak.

Although apples and pennies weren't my favorites, I still appreciated them.

My brother and I would ride our bikes around our development of contempra homes weeks before Halloween, mapping out our route. Then, we would forage into the night, trying to collect the most treats before the sun went down. (How did we do all this adventuring without cell phones? Egad!) We always gave up when it started getting chilly and we started getting tired. We came home, spread our loot on the rug, and traded. And we always said the same thing: "We shoulda got more treats!"

One year, brother and I went out as a two-headed monster. We both fit inside one of our dad's white t-shirts and wrote on it, "The two-headed, four-footed monster." We kept our own pants on.

Unfortunately, two older kids from the neighborhood came up and asked to look in our bag, then took some of our stuff. They grinned and walked away. My brother and I wanted to run from them, but it is very hard to run as a two-headed monster.

When we got home, I told my mom about it, and she told me to call one of the kids' mothers, who lived up the block. So I did. She promptly sent the kid over to give us some of HIS candy.

"Don't blame me if there's poison in it," he said ruefully.

Anyway, those were some impromptu Halloween memories. What are yours?

Finally, happy November! I won't be posting for the rest of the week because I'll be in sugar shock, so enjoy yours!

No comments: