1/09/2007

On language

This is one of those entries I thought of two weeks ago and now it's come to mind when I'm on the computer, so I'll post it...

Isn't it kind of funny that if I say to you, "What's on tonight," you'd know I mean on television?

Is there anything on tonight?

Nope, nothing on tonight.

It also works with "What should I watch tonight?" If someone asked you that, would you say, "Your neighbor's dog getting a tummy rub in the window?" No, you'd say, "CSI: Topeka."

It's funny how television has become such a staple that even saying "TV" is too much...we only have to say, "What's on" or "what should I watch?"

I wonder when that started. Also, I wonder when "TV" as an abbreviation started, in general.

I've also been thinking lately about how fortunate it is that the members of my family had things they watched at completely different times - being that the only good (a.k.a. color) TV was in the living room.

My brother and I controlled prime time nearly every night. My mom watched the soaps in the afternoon and ABC news at 6, 6:30, and 7. And dad watched sports on the weekends. It all worked out. And even when I wasn't interested in what they were watching, I sat on the couch with them and watched because there was nothing better to do. I accidentally saw George Brett storm onto the field because they said there was too much pine tar on his bat, I followed the exploits of General Hospital's Luke and Laura every summer, and I watched all the news. Clearly, TV was a cornerstone of my childhood.

Now I watch here and there (more now because there's cable in my home), but there are shows that have been on for ten seasons that I haven't even seen a complete episode of. Strange, huh?

Kids today have so many more channels to choose from, but they also have the internet and IM'ing, so TV isn't as necessary. I guess it's still the main form of entertainment in most homes, but the big color living-room Zenith probably isn't the big gathering place it was.

No comments: