1/30/2007

Fian....

A dictionary check confirmed recently that I am a fiancEE, while the boy is just a fiancE. I get an extra E because I'm a nice girl.

But a friend pointed out to me that most people ignore the "fiance" spelling these days and use "fiancEE" for both sexes. I've been trying to get it right, but I guess it doesn't really matter, does it? Should popular form or use eventually replace the original, if it's more sensible?

The word "enormity" is supposed to have a bad connotation and doesn't simply mean enormousness. You could say "the sheer enormity of 9/11" and be using it correctly, but "the enormity of our party overwhelmed me," theoretically, would be wrong. Yet, I recently looked it up and it said that enormity had come into common usage to just mean enormousness.

So, maybe it does, now.

No comments: