10/08/2005

Gone phishing

Over the last several months, I've gotten many e-mails that look like they're from eB*y or PayP*l telling me to change my password because someone is trying to fradulently use my account, etc. But the e-mails themselves are fraudulent. The thing is, they use the proper logos and even e-mail address, so they look real. It would be easy to be suckered in, click the link and give financial information.

In the last few days, I've gotten some from AOL. But today was the best - I got one that totally looked like it was from the Red Cross. It has all the Red Cross logos inside, copy that was clearly stolen from a Red Cross website, and pictures of devastated houses and starving dogs. What gives it away is this sentence in the beginning:

Dear sir,
This are some of the tragic events wich we ask you to support all those people wich houses and all they had it is history :


Then it talks about measles, both hurricanes, etc. Then the last line is:

To help all this peoples click here.

Riiiight.

No comments: