10/06/2005

The debate

The NJ vs. NYC debate was a lot of fun tonight. It was a silly issue, and thus a silly debate (I didn't realize that NJ has a high percentage of sliding doors that are dangerous to bears). I think New Jerseyans get a bit tired of hearing their state maligned, and of Manhattanites constantly being afraid to leave Manhattan for a few seconds to come to NJ - usually because Manhattanites have to justify their high rents by spending every minute in Manhattan. Well, that was my premise, anyway. I also said NYC is a lovely place to visit, but I mentioned the murder rate of 600 per year. Disclaimer: I love Manhattan too, which is why I live near there (for now)...I just don't think NJ is inferior.

My debating opponent, poet Boni Joi, was very clever and funny and had a good response to a Frank Sinatra question from the audience. Someone tried to say that they slaughter pigs in Secaucus, but I pointed out that that stopped 50 years ago (or thereabouts). Oh, snap!

I have to thank all of the people who turned out, no matter which side they were on - including Anonymous Bob, great blogger Brother Lawrence, brilliant writer Ned (who was largely a few blocks down for the Happy Endings reading series, where he was reading with the talented Will Leitch whose debut novel "Catch" comes out in two months), and some people who I'm not sure have their own web pages: Carly, Matt, Joel, moderator Todd, and probably several others. If I forgot you, I appreciate it.

I don't usually namecheck (or namedrop), but I wanted to thank those folks. And you, if you were there, too. Surprisingly, a large Jersey contingent came out! We still lost 12 to 13, but what the heck.

Some of the debate will appear on the fabulous TV cable show Across the Hudson, soon to be airing on both sides of the river.

Okay, it's around midnight and I should really start getting to work (ha ha).

No comments: